This week I spent it fixing small issues with the arms and figuring out how to make the arm get into the right socket when it transforms, but be away from it when it’s in plane mode so the position of the parts is still correct. I used a constraint that copies the rotation and position of another bone that is in the right socket place, and I’ll just animate this constraint on during the transformation action mode. At least, that’s the plan.
Also, I found the arms a bit too skinny and feeble, so I started increasing the width to make them beefier while still in the boundaries of the shoulder plate and the rest of the parts so they don’t intersect. It’s a bit of pull and push at this point, but I think they look better now.
So I kept on and tried figuring out exactly how does the hand looks like. I’m going with a realistic approach so the hands are not going to look cartoony or glove-like. They will be a set of hard surface parts that move around fixed sockets, like a skeleton hand. The basic shape of the hand is the only thing I could figure out from the drawings and photos, so the rest was a bit of copying the shape of the fingers and a bit of making things up, since there’s not enough info. But I think it looks nice!
After the hand is properly rigged, I’ll be creating a small video to show all these things transforming. I think that’s the basic part of the arms so I can start completing the feet rig.