The YF-19: Battroid Tour

160812

I did some work for the inner hidden mechanical parts, and also I tweaked things that were not looking too polished. Since every time I fix some texture it implies that I’m creating a whole new diffuse, specular and normal map, this has been a rather slow process. I’m not finding a big amount of stuff to fix now, and there are things that are probably not going to be shown in the film anyway. For all practical purposes, this bird is done!

160812-2

August 12 – Testing the black livery with a system to match the colours

I did have to deal with something though – The inner plates for the shoulders, the back plate that covers the lower part of the exhausts on the backpack, and some other covers were in a different texture map, since they were created to be hidden as a single object, and I had already run out of space on the main one. That’s fine and good, but now that I have created different colour schemes, it’s coming back to bite me. They need to change colour as well with the different schemes, but would I have to create a whole different bunch of colour variations for their diffuse map? That’s gonna be a lot more textures than I already have, and that also means more Mbs. So I came up with a system:

The texture would be only one, but I would pass it through a colour filter that can be switched with a driver. So that way, I can choose which version to load from the control panel and it would change the hue of the shoulder plates and back plate to match the current livery. That way I can also switch the nose sensor dome from red to green when I’m looking at the Ravens version.

160813

160813-2

Same for the Skull 1 version, just keep the value on white and they will match the rest perfectly. All done and ready to do some mechanical work!

I added a lot more details on the gray mechanical parts, like bolts, hatches and panel lines. I used images like this one to get the height map working, and then exported the changes to the different maps. At the same time, I was making choices of what to take out.

jonas-ronnegard-artstation-02

160903-2

I added bolts and bumps to the head parts, while fixing little issues that rose, like things not mirroring correctly.

160903-4

160903-3

160903-5

160903-6

Some things were still looking too hexagonal because the textures were matching the low resolution mesh, so I had to tweak stuff around.

160903-7

160903-8

I also didn’t like how that radiator thing looks like on the bottom chest lasers, so I’m removing it. This was also a good opportunity to see the fuselage play with the lights and shadows.

160903-9

160903-10

160905

160905-2

160905-3.jpg

160905-4

160906

160906-2

160906-3

YF19_Fighter-GERWALK-Battroid

160906-4

160906-7

Advertisements

About Eduardo

I'm some dude with a huge love for animation and film. I've been working in TV animation for the past 6 years in New Zealand. I love dragons, pointy metal things that can cut dragons, and flight simulators.
This entry was posted in Blender Modelling, The YF-19 Project and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s